You will need the following items/information to apply for your Social Security card:
- Passport with J-1 Visa and Admission Stamp
- Form I-94 - Arrival/Departure Record
- Form DS-2019 - Certificate of Eligibility
- Form SS-5 - Completed Social Security Application (available at Social Security office)
- Job Sponsor's letter showing your participation in the program
- Address where you have access to receive your Social Security card
- NOTE: All documents must be originals or certified by the issuing agency
List of Approved Sponsors
Location: Social Security Office, 1316 3rd Avenue, Conway, SC 29526
Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 9am-4pm, Wednesday: 9am-12pm, Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Directions to Social Security office (about 45 mins):
- Take Coast RTA Bus Route C-7 either from 10th Ave. North Bus Transfer Center or Coastal Grand Mall (about 5 stops).
- Get off at the Conway Terminal stop.
- Turn left outside of the center (towards Lewis Street).
- The Social Security office will be on your left.
After you applied for your Social Security card you will receive a receipt. You can use this receipt as temporary proof until you receive the original card in the mail. If you cannot get to the Social Security office or need help, come to one of our J-1 student orientations!
Please visit www.socialsecurity.gov for more information or fill out an application online at www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
Social Security Downloadable Files